Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Banana hazelnut muffins

Banana hazelnut muffins

Searching for a new way to use my much too ripe bananas, I found a banana muffin recipe that called for walnuts too. That sounded great to me. I didn’t have walnuts at home but I did have some hazelnuts and I thought it would be a different twist to an already good recipe.

I made the muffins and they turned out really good. I was amazed by how tender they were, even on the following day. I immediately thought of posting them here but first I decided to ask Saffron, a foodie I didn’t know until then, if she was OK with that.

**** pause to clarify something ****

I’ve been blogging for a while now and up to this moment I’ve made and posted several recipes from foodies I admire - thank heavens I’ve never had a problem with that.
But I have a sort of rule I follow – if the blogger is someone closer I know they won’t mind. Much to the contrary – I know some of them actually like it.
I do – every time someone cooks something I posted (or gets inspired by my recipes) I get all smiley and I even talk to my computer, if there’s no one else to share the joy with.

Depending on the case, I sent the person an email just letting them know about the post or asking for their permission to post.

**** end of pause ****

She sent me a sweet, sweet email back and I was sure that I had found one more foodie to admire.

The only thing I’d have changed is the amount of sugar - I'd use a bit less because my bananas were really ripe and sweet.
Saffron, tks for sharing such a delicious recipe!

Banana hazelnut muffins

4 ripe bananas*
150g (¾ cup) sugar
75g (1/3 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
210g (1 ½ cups) all-purpose flour
small handful of hazelnuts, toasted and peeled

Preheat oven to 190ºC/375ºF and line muffin pan with muffin paper cups.
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix well. Set aside.
Chop the hazelnuts and reserve 1 tablespoon for sprinkling on top – I reserved 1 ½ tablespoons.
Place the bananas in a large bowl and mash well. Add the sugar and melted butter. Mix well.
Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and then add the hazelnuts - mix just enough to bring everything together. Don’t overmix.
Fill muffin cups about ¾ to the top and sprinkle with the reserved chopped nuts.
Bake for 20 minutes or till the muffins are golden brown.

* you can use 3 large bananas and 1 egg. I made them exactly like the original recipe and I can say that it worked beautifully without the egg.

Makes 12 large muffins – I got 14


31 comments:

Nora B. said...

Patricia, those look yummy & moist. Funny thing is that I had ripe bananas lying around too. So I made banana cake, but because I was also going to bake something for s friend i decided to put a crumble topping to make it extra special (that way, I don't have to glaze it, etc). I'll post it on my blog soon.

Claudia said...

YUM!!! They sound delish. I've bookmarked this one for future banana use!

Valentina said...

Bananas just turn into real nectars once baked..I can't resist. these muffins are in the to do list..and jumping the queue because the list is far too loooong.Thanks to you and to Saffron for the recipe.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Those muffins look wonderful -- I love finding new ways to use old bananas! And about posting recipes.... whenever someone asks to post one of my recipes, I always say yes -- and I'm always glad they ask.

bossacafez said...

lovely muffins pat! i love the combination of bananas & nuts, esp walnuts. hazelnut makes a nice change though =)

and how did you manage to juggle TWO blogs?! omg. isnt alot of time & effort spent to write everything twice? you're too wonderful!

bossacafez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

Wow those look great. I made some banana bread yesterday but it's not nearly as delicious as this looks!

Anh said...

Lovely muffins! I just triedout Bill's banana and choc bread from your blog to get rid of my banana (no pics - too busy! :D). The bread is lovely. Will bookmartk this recipe for another time!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I consider a good banana recipe like money in the bank. These look like wonderful muffies!

Susan said...

You know, Patricia, this little change of yours is just nuts! I'd like to have one right now and spoil my appetite for dinner.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I wish I could have breakfast right now - these look so tasty!

Lis said...

Oh I love ANYTHING banana, and banana muffins are high on the list! These look fantastic! I'm glad you found a new foodie friend in the process. =)

xoxo

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Ooh, another delicious way to use ripe bananas. Yum! That's a sweet story as well. Food blogging is such a great way to meet wonderful people. Like you. :)

Karin W. said...

Those muffins look really delicious. I’m jealous :). Bananas here are so expensive right now.

By the way
DagensMuffin ("The Daily Muffin") is Sweden’s greatest website about muffins!

The Swedish version has 660 recipes and 180 images. Now there’s a Finnish & a French version too! The English version is currently under construction. In the coming months, more than 100 recipes will be translated into English.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Oooo, bananas and hazelnuts. Yummy! Food blogging is most definitely a lovely way to meet great people. No better person than someone willing to share a great recipe, it's almost like being invited to eat with them.

Cheryl said...

I love that you can see see the chunks of goodness on the top of the muffin. That is my favorite part. I could tear those up right now, they look so good.

Stella said...

I love anything that has to do with banana, & I'm definitely going to try your banana muffins soon. Maybe during the week end! they look absolutely tempting:)

Anonymous said...

yummy! those look wonderful! Wish I could bite into one right now :)

cheers!

wheresmymind said...

Nice of you to check in with the recipe owner...that is the right thing to do :)

Anonymous said...

Patricia this is perfect! I have ripe bananas, didn't know what to do with my hazelnuts, and recently bought a muffin pan. It's just meant to be. :D

Kelly-Jane said...

Your muffins just looks perfect :)
I'm so glad to hear you talk to your computer now and then, me too!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Nora, they are very moist, you're right! Banana cake sounds delicious, I'm looking forward to seeing the post!

Claudia, I hope you try it!

Tina, they'd be a wonderful snack, let me know if you make them.

Lydia, I know you wouldn't mind - you have such wonderful recipes there!

Evan, thank you, sweetie! I didn't know if the hazelnuts would work and they did!
I had a laugh with you - I love posting both in English and in my native language. :)

Sara, you're far too kind!

Anh, I'm glad to hear you liked Bill's bread! Tks for sharing your opinion with me, dear!

Tanna, I love the comparison. :)

Susan, I love the pun. ;)

T.W., thank you!

Lis, see? Like I found you visiting other people's blogs - and how glad am I about it??? ;)
xx

Susan, I feel the same way, sweetie - what a lovely comment.

Karin, I can't wait for the English version to be ready! :)

Amanda, I couldn't agree with you more.

Cheryl, they add an extra crunch - great!

Valentina, I'd love to hear your take on them!

Saffron!! Thank you for stopping by!

Jeff, I agree with you. :)

Amy, it's fate! :)

Kelly-Jane, good to know I'm in such good company!

Thank you all for the wonderful comments! I really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

This looks like such a delicious combination! Beautiful muffins Patricia!

Anonymous said...

How did you know I have a bunch of bananas sitting on my counter, just waiting to be baked into something that isn't banana bread? And I have hazelnuts too! Yay! These look delicious Patricia.


Ari (Baking and Books)

Anonymous said...

I want a banana hazelnut muffin...it'll be a perfect breakfast for me right now.

Warda said...

Those muffins look terrific Patricia. Now I know what I am going to do with my bananas.Just need some nuts.

Anonymous said...

Those sounds delish...especially as I like both banana cake and hazelnuts :) If I had a dollar for every banana cake version I have bookmarked off the net I could buy out a small software company!

Cris said...

Oh dear, this is torture, look at those muffins! I am drooling here on my keyboard!

Anonymous said...

Oh those look delightful! I just baked biscottis a couple of days back to get rid of my overriped banana too. If only I saw this earlier!

Mk mummy said...

thanks for sharing this wonderful and yet simple recipe. My daughter had fun baking it.

BTW, I have backlinked you. Thanks again.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi!
I'm glad to hear you liked the muffins, thank you for letting me know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails