Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chocolate cinnamon madeleines

Chocolate cinnamon madeleines / Madeleines de chocolate e canela

Before today’s recipe, there’s someone I need to thank: Juliana, a dear reader of my blog in Portuguese. A small article about my blog was published in a Brazilian airline magazine and she was kind enough to keep a copy for me. Thank you, Ju!

I’ve told you I’m terrified of horror movies and that hasn’t changed. But I guess I’ll have to make an exception, even though the trailer alone has scared the bejeesus out of me: I absolutely love Willem Dafoe and will pretty much watch everything he’s on. He’s part of several favorites of mine and the only reason why I watched “Spiderman” until the end - just can’t resist him. :D

I cannot resist making madeleines as well – this time I used one of Helen’s recipes and just added a touch of cinnamon.

Chocolate cinnamon madeleines / Madeleines de chocolate e canela

Chocolate cinnamon madeleines

2 eggs
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (80g) all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons (15g) cocoa
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (80g) sugar
80g unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF.
Melt the butter in the microwave or over low heat. Let cool slightly.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and cocoa; add the sugar. Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Add the yolks to the flour/cocoa mixture and whisk with a spatula. Break the egg whites with a fork, without making them foam. Add them to the flour/cocoa/egg mixture. Add the melted butter and whisk vigorously to incorporate everything.
Butter madeleine molds and fill them halfway through with batter.
Bake at 220ºC/425ºF for 4 minutes, the turn the oven down to 190ºC/375ºF and bake for another 4 minutes. Let cool slightly and unmold – do it while they are still warm otherwise they might stick to the pan.
Repeat with the remaining batter.

Makes 16 cookies – I got 20 using molds that hold 1 tablespoon of dough

17 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

absolutely delicious. cinnamon adds that extra yummy touch :)I hate horror movies

Kelly said...

Cinnamon and chocolate work so well together. Your madeleines look superb!

cindy* said...

yum. i love madelines and chocolate and cinnamon and here they are here together! great job!

Sarah E. Hoffman said...

I bought madeline pans months ago - and for some reason I haven't gotten around to making any - these are good inspiration.

anna said...

Ooh, cinnamon and chocolate are great together! I do like horror movies, but I am very picky and I prefer very old ones. The silent Nosferatu is one of my favorite movies ever. Willem Dafoe is pretty awesome - he even played Nosferatu/Max Schreck in Shadow of the Vampire!

Half Baked said...

Beautiful! I love chocolate with a hint of cinnamon. It's a perfect pairing!!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Those look delicious - and the photo is beautiful!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Wow, you're a celebrity now! Well, anyone who reads your blog knows you're something special. I think of you as queen of the madeleines. These look wonderful!

Marysol said...

How can you not love horror movies?
It's the only way I can sleep. [G]

Btw, love Madeleines. And chocolate, in any form, is always welcomed here.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Love the idea of a little bit of cinnamon in the madeleines. How about a bit of ginger, to add even more spice?

Dragon said...

What a great combination of flavours!

Manggy said...

Oh, you mean you wouldn't have watched Spiderman all the way through otherwise? :( Ha ha ha. These look so good! I love that you have *individual* pans, that's so unique!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Natalie, I'm afraid of them. :D

Kelly, I love cinnamon in just about anything. Tks!

Cindy*, thank you so much!

Sarah, time to put those pans into good use! :D
Tks for stopping by!

Anna, I watched that movie and loved it - and Willem Dafoe is unrecognizable in it!

Half Baked, thank you! I love it, too.

Jennifer, thank you! I'm glad to know you like the photo. ;)

Lynn, my dear, it was funny because one of the managers of the company I work at saw the article while traveling... And then she told everyone in her department. :D

Marysol, I love them but I'm afraid of them. :D
Thank you, sweetie!

Lydia, that is a fabulous idea, darling!

Dragon, thank you!

Mark, I would have left the movie theater and gone home. :D
Thank you, my friend!

Marysol,

Elyse said...

Whew! Who knew that Willem Dafoe and Madeleines had so much in common--they're irresistable! These madeleines do look quite irresistable. Great job!

gine said...

mmmm ... madeleines are great :-). Lovely pictures!

eatme_delicious said...

What cute little madeleine tins! Now I want to go and make chocolate madeleines! ;)

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Beautiful! What a pity I still did not get tins for madelaines...

Have a wonderful day and don't forget to check out chocolate-making kit giveaway on my site :)

Margot

Related Posts with Thumbnails