Friday, April 9, 2010

Spiced chocolate mousse

Spiced chocolate mousse / Mousse de chocolate com especiarias

Do you remember my friend Neusa? A couple of weeks ago she told me she’d looked for a chocolate mousse recipe here on the blog but did not find it. Then it hit me: more than three years into blogging and I’d never posted a chocolate mousse recipe. Shame on me.

It’s about time I fixed things up, with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to make this dessert even more special. But if you’re in the mood for traditional chocolate mousse, just omit the spices.

Spiced chocolate mousse / Mousse de chocolate com especiarias

Spiced chocolate mousse
adapted from Australian Gourmet Traveller

180g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
3 eggs, at room temperature, separated
3 tablespoons caster sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
225ml heavy cream, whipped until soft peaks form

Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, turn off heat and cool, add yolks and stir to combine – mixture will thicken; add spices. Add cream and fold through to combine.
In a separate large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar and mix to combine. Add whites to chocolate mixture and fold to combine. The mousse should be smooth and even in color.
Spoon into six ½ cup (120ml) capacity moulds and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.

Serves 6

16 comments:

polkadotcupcake said...

Hi Patricia, I just wanted to say how much I love your blog, and particularly your photography! Everything always looks so perfect, so dear and so moreish! Well done you!

Anonymous said...

Я из России и случайно нашла ваш блог - это супер! Я под таким впечатлением нахожусь! Все хочу попробовать, буду переводить и готовить, спасибо!

Paula said...

oh, I looove chocolate and here it looks sooo delicious dear!

Tv Food and Drink said...

Looks fantastic. I will make it and give a full report back to you. Thanks for posting!
Gary

Kman said...

this looks so good and the photos are amazing
yummy

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Ah, but leaving out the spices wouldn't make it quite so special, would it? Chocolate marries so well with certain spices - it would such a shame to leave them out! Lovely mousse, Patricia, and beautifully photographed, as always.

Shari said...

I like the combination of spices. Looks perfect!

Julia @Mélanger said...

No chocolate mousse on your blog in three years? Yes, great idea to get one on quickly! I haven't made chocolate mousse for ages, but thinking this could have a place for next months's theme. Thanks for the inspiration!

Emily said...

I lovvve chocolate mousse! Yours looks amazing!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Polka Dot Cupcake, thank you for visiting again! It is wonderful to know you enjoy the blog!
xx

Niksya, sorry, I do not understand your comment... :(

Paula, thank you, sweetie!

Gary, hope you like it!

Kman, thank you!

A Forkful..., it would be a regular chocolate mousse - I'm a fan of spices (especially cinnamon) so I would not leave them out! :)
Thank you for being so kind, sweetie!
xx

Shari, thank you!

Julia, can you believe it? Loads of cookies and cakes, but no mousse! :)
Thank you, sweetie - I'm glad you like the recipe!

Emily, thank you, darling!

Pille said...

Patricia - the chocolate mousse looks amazing, and I love the blue wrap around the glasses! Such a nice touch!

PS Cannot understand all that Niskya is writing, but "I am from Russia and by accident found your blog - it's superb! ....... Everything I want to try and will prepare and try, thank you!"

Rachael Hutchings said...

Your mousse looks absolutely phenomenal! Love the spices that you used.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

And now I've just realized I've never even made chocolate mousse. As yours looks perfectly luscious, I must that gap in my dessert-making experience pronto!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Pille, dear, thank you for translating the comment! :)

Fuji Mama, thank you!

Xiaolu, I hope you make some pronto, indeed! :)
Thank you!

kathryn said...

bless you dear for putting up a chocolate mousse recipe. just a thought-have you ever thought about making a praline shell to put it in? i had white chocolate mousse once in a praline shell and it definitely added to the fabulous experience.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Kathryn, thank you! Take a look at the recipe I used as a source of inspiration, they added a hazelnut praliné on top of the mousse, it looks delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails