Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lime cupcakes and a crazy dream I had the other night

Lime cupcakes / Cupcakes de limão e 5 anos de blog

I had one crazy dream a couple of nights ago: I dreamt that people were planning a remake of “Blade Runner” (can’t tell you how much I adore that movie) and Daniel Craig had been chosen to play Roy Batty. Don’t know about you, but in my dream it seemed to be a very smart decision. :D

I guess that the only thing I love as much as movies are citrus flavors. So there you have it, lime cupcakes. :D

Lime cupcakes
slightly adapted from the fantastic Bon Appetit Desserts

Cupcakes:
1 ¾ cups (245g) all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ¼ cups (250g) superfine sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
¾ cup (180ml) buttermilk

Frosting:
225g (8oz) cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups (210g) icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line 12 standard (1/3 cup – 80ml) muffin cups with paper liners. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside. Using the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in lime juice and zest (batter might look curdled). In low speed, beat in flour in three additions alternately with buttermilk in two additions. Fill each paper case by 1/3* with the batter and bake for 20 minutes or until risen and beginning to color and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan for 10 minutes then carefully transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Make the frosting: place cream cheese and butter in the large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until well combined. Add the sugar, zest and vanilla, beat to combine. Spread over completely cooled cupcakes.

* the icing is really soft, so you need extra room inside the paper cases to “accommodate” it; I filled each cupcake liner by half and still got room for the icing

Makes 12 – I halved the recipe and got 9 cupcakes

10 comments:

BP said...

Those cupcake holders are gorgeous! Were they bake-safe??? :D

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, gorgeous and marvellous cupcakes..

Velvet said...

Those cupackes look really yummy! I specially love the cases, did you buy them via online?

Have a nice day and keep dreaming sweet stories.

The apple of my eye.

pam said...

Love Blade Runner AND totally love your cupcake liners!!!

shaz said...

Looks amazing as usual. Thanks. I love to drop by every time to enjoy your photos and recipes and prose. Thanks again.

Sashquatch said...

Lime...cupcakes...yes please! I dont get to revel in the lovely lime flavour enough, these look divine and are being bookmarked for sure :) Gorgeous recipe and post as always!
ps Id say the addition of Daniel Craig to your dream was a very smart decision indeed!

Carolyn Jung said...

Hey, they're remaking every other movie and TV show, so why not "Blade Runner''? LOL
Me? I'd rather make these cupcakes.

susan said...

I love the music in blade runner - so sexy. I was addicted to it in 1993 - could not get enough of it. And I love these little cupcakes. I could become addicted to these as well!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful cupcakes! Delicious recipe. Please let us know where to obtain the cupcake liners. Thank you.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Ladies, the paper cases are oven-proof, indeed, and I bought them in an Etsy shop called "Cupcakesocial".

Related Posts with Thumbnails