Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pear, apple, brown sugar and maple syrup cake

Pear, apple, brown sugar and maple syrup cake / Bolo de pêra, maçã, açúcar mascavo e xarope de bordo

People who like to cook and bake – myself included – get mad at recipes that do not work – I think it’s only natural to feel that way about something that involves time, ingredients ($$) and expectations. I get really angry sometimes, to the point of cursing like a character in a mafia movie. :D

But if the recipe works and the food tastes good, I’m OK with a couple of details that might be different from the recipe – the fruit on top of this cake, for instance, should have sunk into the batter while it baked in the oven, according to Nigel Slater; that did not happen, but it doesn’t matter – I actually think the cake looks nicer this way.

Pear, apple, brown sugar and maple syrup cake
slightly adapted from the absolutely beautiful Tender Volume II

Fruit mixture:
2 ripe pears
1 Granny Smith apple
1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons maple syrup

Cake:
100g unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup (50g) superfine sugar
1/3 cup (58g) light brown sugar, packed
1 cup + 1 tablespoon (150g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup (50g) almond flour (ground almonds)
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons whole milk, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Butter a 20cm (8in) round baking pan, line the base with baking paper and butter the paper as well.
Peel, core and dice the pears and the apples – the pieces should be around 1cm each. Transfer the fruit to a large frying pan, add the butter and cinnamon and cook over a moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5-8 minutes. Pour in the maple syrup, let the mixture bubble up briefly, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale and thick. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, then add the almond flour. In a small bowl, whisk lightly with a fork the eggs, milk and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the eggs mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top. Spoon the fruit mixture over the batter and bake for 40 minutes or until golden, risen and lightly firm and a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan over a wire rack.

Serves 8-10

13 comments:

Lucia said...

Hallo, Patricia! Ma quante cosine buone ci sono, qui... Era da un po' che non passavo a trovarti, quindi ora vado a curiosare tra le nuove ricette. Baci :-)

Jan said...

I too hate when desserts don't turn out the way they should.... but the cake you ended up with looks fantastic to me. What a great flavor combination :)

Inga´s Haven said...

mm... I love anything with pears and apples :D this looks really good :)

Lauren Hairston said...

Looks gorgeous and I love Nigel Slater. I'll have to give this one a try!

pam said...

Looks fantastic to me!

Velvet said...

I'm really angry too when a recipe, specially the measurements, don't work!

This cake looks delicious, I love fruit desserts in summer.

Sashquatch said...

Nigel Slater is like my...weird crush guy, hes ace :) This looks like one delicious recipe, i know i have probably said this multiple times, but i ADORE your blog and pretty much every recipe you post! Lovely :)

Rivki Locker said...

This looks perfect. I definitely like it better with the fruit suspended that way.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

I love the way it looks with the fruit on top. It sounds really delicious, too.

The Food Hunter said...

This looks yummy! I can't wait to try making it.

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight and it turned out pretty well! It's not too sweet and a really soft crumbly texture. The batter is quite thick and I baked it for 60 minutes. I was worried it would dry out from the extra 20 minutes of bake time so I put a few tablespoons of simple syrup over the cake while it was cooling to make sure it was still moist.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, there - I'm so glad to hear you liked the recipe, tks for letting me know! The extra syrup sounds like a great idea to me.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

This cake looks scrumptious, what delicious flavors!

Related Posts with Thumbnails