Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Coconut rice pudding with toasted almonds + "Super 8"

Coconut rice pudding with toasted almonds / Arroz doce de coco com amêndoas tostadas

So my sister convinced me to go watch "Super 8" with her – you see, I belong to the Goonies generation, therefore I’m always suspicious towards movies with kids – I never expect much, because I know deep in my heart that nothing will beat my favorite. But I have to say that I was impressed with “Super 8”: I thought the movie was adorable, with very well directed scenes, and Elle Fanning is certainly one to be watched in the future.

What does “Super 8” have to do with this rice pudding? Well, actually, nothing. It’s just that my sister loved it as much as she loved the movie. And I did, too. :D

Coconut rice pudding with toasted almonds
slightly adapted from the always gorgeous Donna Hay Magazine

1/3 cup flaked almonds
1 cup (200g) Arborio rice
4 cups (960ml) coconut milk
1/3 cup (80ml) whole milk
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (112g) superfine sugar

Toast the almonds in a dry nonstick frying pan over medium heat until lightly golden and fragrant. Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool.
Make the rice pudding: combine the rice, coconut milk, milk and sugar in a medium saucepan and cook over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring often, until rice is tender, 20 minutes.
Serve the pudding warm sprinkled with the almonds.

Serves 4

8 comments:

Jan said...

I've never made rice pudding with either arborio rice or coconut milk, so I'm pretty excited about this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

martina said...

I'll pass the rice pudding this time (not my thing) but I'm glad you give Super 8 a good review... my husband keeps asking to watch it! cheers Martina

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious and inviting pudding..

Deb said...

What delectable rice pudding, comforting, creamy and delicious! Thanks for sharing.

MªJose-Dit i Fet said...

Pues me alegro muchísimo de saber que esta película es tan buena, yo también soy de la generación de los goonies y seguro que me encantará...aunque lo que me ha gustado muchísimo es este arroz con leche de coco, que rico tiene que estar!! un besito

Jeanne said...

I've never made rice pudding - something about it is just too... stodgy for me. But I *love* the addition of toasted almonds for flavour and crunch - I may have to give this a go :)

3LittleMonkeys said...

Rice Pudding is comfort food to me. My Mom would make this with leftover rice when I was growing up. Try as I might, I can't ever get it to tastes as good as hers.

Patricia Scarpin said...

3LittleMonkeys, my mom used to make rice pudding for me when I was little; unfortunately, she died when I was 7 so every time I miss her more than I can bear I make rice pudding for myself. It's not the same, but it's comforting anyway.
:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails