Monday, January 7, 2013

Coconut and passion fruit thumbprints

Coconut and passion fruit thumbprints / Biscoitinhos de coco e maracujá

I’ve been a good girl and have taken the inventory idea very seriously – I have to say I’m really proud of myself. :) However, when I saw a jar of passion fruit jam at the grocery store I had to buy it – it looked so beautiful, all golden and freckled with seeds! – but in my defense I only brought it home because I already knew what I was going to make with it: the coconut thumbprints I’d seen on "Food & Wine" magazine; coconut and passion fruit is such a lovely combo of flavors and something that to me is very Brazilian. I have a very dear friend who would certainly love these cookies – she’s as crazy for passion fruit as I am. :)

Coconut and passion fruit thumbprints
slightly adapted from the wonderful Food & Wine

2 ½ cups (350g) all-purpose flour
¾ cup (75g) sweetened flaked coconut
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup (226g/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
about 150g passion fruit jam – or use raspberry as the original recipes calls for

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the coconut, baking soda and salt. In a standing electric mixer fitted with a paddle, or using a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter with the sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat in the dry ingredients at low speed. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
Roll the dough into 2.5cm (1in) balls, place onto prepared sheets 5cm (2in) apart and bake for 14 minutes. Make a dent in the cookies; fill with jam and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden around the edges. Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Makes 6 ½ dozen – I used 1 leveled tablespoon of dough per cookie and got 57

6 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Attractive thumbprints cookies. Fabulous!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I love thumbprints, these are so pretty and the flavors are perfect!

Alejandra said...

Passion fruit is my absolute favorite flavor!! These cookies sound wonderful!

Susan said...

Happy New Year, Patricia! These little cookies look so cute and I love the coconut flavor! xx

Anonymous said...

Patricia, this recipe goes perfect for me. We are in summer and coconut and passion fruit are so present during this season. I will try.

Sara said...

So pretty! These look really tasty...I don't have nearly enough passion fruit in my life. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails