Friday, February 8, 2013

Maple sour cream cake

Maple sour cream cake / Bolo de sour cream e xarope de bordo

If TV shows are hard for me to keep up with, can you imagine cookbook releases? :D Every time I take a look at the new cookbooks on Amazon I feel so far behind – and I’m not even talking about books that were released long ago but I still want anyway.

For instance, there is a new Food52 cookbook and I haven’t purchased the first one yet – life isn’t easy for a cookbook junkie like me, I’ll say. ;)

This is a delicious and very easy cake from Food52 – the website. Now I can’t wait to try the clementine pound cake, too.

Maple sour cream cake
slightly adapted from the beautiful and delicious Food52

1 ½ cups (210g) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup (120ml) maple syrup
¾ cup sour cream*
¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
finely grated zest of ½ large lemon
½ cup (120ml) canola oil

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 180°C/350°F. Generously butter a 21x11x6cm (8½×4½×2½in) metal loaf pan – I used a 22x12cm (9x5in) pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, sour cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add to the dry ingredients and whisk to incorporate. Fold in oil gradually until the batter absorbs it.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet and bake until risen and golden and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 5 minutes, then carefully unmold onto rack. Turn cake upright on rack and cool completely.

* homemade sour cream: to make 1 cup of sour cream, mix 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream with 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk until it starts to thicken. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 1 hour or until thicker (I usually leave mine on the counter overnight – except on very warm nights – and it turns out thick and silky in the following morning; refrigerate for a creamier texture)

Serves 6-8

7 comments:

BeadBag said...

- have just bought 4 jars of Maple Syrup and have some sour cream in the fridge! Perfect :) !

pam said...

What a pretty cake and what a pretty cake plate!

Annie @ Annie's Noms said...

This looks delicious! I have a big bottle of maple syrup and now I know how I can use it!! :)

Melissa@Julias Bookbag said...

what a lovely cake! nice to have with tea :) (i'm a total cookbook junkie too, I sympathize :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

Oh a maple cake sounds like just what I need in my life... lovely as always!

Lynna said...

I need to save this when I have leftover sourcream! :) Sounds yummy~

Laura said...

Yum, looks delicious and unique. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails