Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Churros waffles for my sister

Churros waffles / Waffles de churros

I sometimes look at photos of my sister as a kid and my eyes tear up a little bit – I miss those days, she was a fun, smart kid, it was great being around her. I love telling her the funny things she used to say and do back in the day, the games she liked to play, the clothes she liked to wear – like the T-shirt I gave her when she was around two years old and that she wanted to wear every single day, to her mother’s despair – and the food she liked to eat. She was never picky; she loved salads and ice cream, strawberries and chocolate cake, and would also devour a plate of pasta or rice and beans like nobody’s business.

Her taste has changed over the years, naturally – she still loves strawberries and chocolate cake, but won’t eat bacon anymore. Still, it is always a nice feeling for me to learn that most of the things she loves are the ones I love, too. She could have become pain-in-the neck picky like my brother, but luckily she’s a lot more adventurous, always trying new things like tacos, chilli con carne and guacamole, sushi and sashimi. I can see, sometimes, a bit of me in her, and that makes me really happy. <3

Something we both love and eat together every now and then are churros, so when she came over for another Super Mario Bros. session I told her I would make waffles that tasted just like churros – she was thrilled with the idea (and so was I). :)


These waffles are the perfect way to quench the desire for churros without the frying (and also a great way of winning brownie points with sisters). :D


Churros waffles
slightly adapted from Richie, who got it from Vitor Hugo

For serving the waffles:
unsalted melted butter
½ cup (50g) granulated sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (or to taste)
dulce de leche

Waffles:
1 cup (140g) all purpose flour
35g corn starch
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
½ tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
200ml whole milk, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cool
1 large egg, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a shallow plate, mix the sugar and cinnamon together. Set aside.

Make the waffles: in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, corn starch, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, egg yolk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk the egg white until firm peaks form.
Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture and stir until smooth. Fold in the egg white.
Heat a waffle iron until very hot; lightly coat with nonstick spray. Working in batches, cook waffles until cooked through.
When the waffles are cooked, brush them with the melted butter and roll them in the cinnamon sugar. Serve at once with the dulce de leche.

Makes 4 waffles

3 comments:

pam said...

I love churros - and having them in waffle form would be wonderful!

Display name said...

Lovely stories, I have a sister too. The waffles look perfect, never tired them with dulce de leche...

ela h.
Gray Apron

Gloria Baker said...

Look delicious I love dulce de leche!

Related Posts with Thumbnails