Friday, July 11, 2014

Grapefruit bars (gluten free) and the Emmy nominations

Grapefruit bars / Barrinhas de toranja

During the time I was out of the loop of TV series I did not care much about the Emmys and while watching the Golden Globes I would focus only on the movie part of the ceremony – since I wasn’t watching anything from TV regularly I did not know if the nominations had been fair or who should win. Now, I stay tuned when the nominees are announced and I get happy or sad depending on who takes the awards home (or pleased when each and every one of them deserve the award). :)

As I read this year’s Emmy nominations, I thought part of them were fair, but to me some people were missing from the list: I would replace Jon Hamm and Jeff Daniels for Michael Sheen and Liev Schreiber (heartbroken for having to leave James Spader out), and would cross Christina Hendricks off the list (I really don’t know what she’s doing there). I loved seeing Lizzy Caplan nominated, she really deserves it, and I’m glad Breaking Bad is all over the place, as well as House of Cards (go, Robin!).

(note to self: watch The Normal Heart)

I haven’t watched comedies in ages, but since I like both William H. Macy and Ricky Gervais a lot I’ll be pleased if either wins – I don’t need to watch what they’re doing to know they’re really good at it. :)

As I told you the other day, I am not gluten intolerant therefore I don’t plan on going gluten free, but what is the problem with experimenting every now and then, right? These bars turned out delicious with almond meal replacing the wheat flour, the nut flavor paired beautifully with the citrus tang of the feeling and the texture became pudding-like – if you want to make them as the original recipe, just trade the almond meal for all purpose flour in both the crust and the filling, using the same amounts.

Grapefruit bars / Barrinhas de toranja


Grapefruit bars
slightly adapted from the delicious Wintersweet: Seasonal Desserts to Warm the Home

Crust:
6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
30g confectioners’ sugar
140g almond meal
2 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt

Filling:
finely grated zest of 2 grapefruits
¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
¾ cup (180ml) freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons almond meal
confectioners’ sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a 20cm (8in) square pan, line it with foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides and butter the foil as well.
Crust: in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the almond meal, cornstarch, and salt. Mix on low for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture starts to clump - stop when the dough holds together when you press on it.
Transfer to the prepared pan and press it evenly onto the base. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges

Filling: rub the grapefruit zest into the sugar in a medium bowl until moist and fragrant. Whisk in the eggs until dissolved, then the grapefruit juice, vanilla and almond meal. Pour the mixture onto the hot crust and bake for 15-20 minutes , or until the center is just set.
Cool completely in the pan over a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, then cut into squares to serve – the bars are quite soft, so remove them gently from the pan (I used a pan with a removable bottom, so it was easier to unmold the bars).
The bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, and they also taste delicious after being refrigerated.

Makes 16

4 comments:

June Burns said...

Those look delicious! Love the grapefruit flavors. :)

Sue/the view from great island said...

Grapefruit makes such a nice change from the same old lemon bars, these are the perfect 'out of the fridge' snack on a hot day!

Display name said...

I want to try these, never baked with grapefruit but something tells I would love these bars...

ela h.

Andi said...

I am total sucker for grapefruit in anything. Yum.

Related Posts with Thumbnails