Thursday, July 3, 2014

Jam and rye crumble bars - falling in love with rye flour

Jam and rye crumble bars / Barrinhas de centeio e geleia

There was some beer left from Nigella’s spectacular cake, and I started looking for a good recipe to use it in. I froze part of the beer for another day and part of it was transformed into a rye bread. Very flavorful, it was gladly devoured in open sandwich form – I mixed Brazil and Scandinavia and made the open sandwiches with hearts of palm and cheese. They were extremely simple but oh, so delicious.

I liked the bread so much I couldn’t wait to use the rye flour again, and it was such a revelation to me to use it in baked goods other than bread – I’d seen the recipes before, but hadn’t tried them myself. In these bars, for instance, it adds a very interesting depth of flavor, not to mention it paired beautifully with the jam flavors I chose – I mixed apricot jam and marmalade because I did not have 1 cup of either to use in the recipe, and it ended up being a very nice thing. Because I was using marmalade, I added orange zest to the topping, and you can’t imagine how great my kitchen smelled while the bars were in the oven.

I still have some rye flour left and several ideas in my head from the recipes I’ve seen, like using it in cakes and tarts. Such a wonderful addition to my repertoire – and it all started with a simple (yet delicious) loaf of bread.

Jam and rye crumble bars
slightly adapted from the glorious Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours

Shortbread base:
55g rye flour
105g all-purpose flour
40g light brown sugar
pinch of salt
75g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

Crumble topping:
70g rolled oats
2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
40g rye flour
25g all-purpose flour
1 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon table salt
finely grated zest of 1 orange
55g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup jam – I used ½ cup apricot and ½ cup marmalade

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F. Lightly butter a 20cm (8in) square pan, line it with foil leaving an overhang in two opposite sides and butter the foil as well.

Crust: in a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar and salt. Add the melted butter and vanilla and stir until thoroughly combined. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the pan. Put the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Crumble topping: add the oats, brown sugar, rye flour, all purpose flour, granulated sugar, salt and orange zest to the bowl of a food processor and process until the oats are partially ground, about 5 seconds. Pour the mixture into a bowl. Add the melted butter and stir with your hands, squeezing the dough as you mix to create small crumbly bits. Set aside.
Bake the frozen shortbread until golden brown and firm when touched, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 180°C/350°F.
Spread the jam over the shortbread crust and top with the crumble. Bake the bars for about 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in the pan. Cut into squares to serve.
The bars can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

Makes 16

6 comments:

June Burns said...

Those look delicious! I've never used rye in a dessert like this but it sounds lovely. :)

Display name said...

Yeah, I like rye flour too. And I have no problem using it in desserts either and have been more and more... Your bars looks fantastic, Pat!

ela h.
Gray Apron

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia,

I thank you and my sweet tooth thank you again for your wonderful blog. I've made many of your recipes with great success.

These bars look delicious. I can't wait to make them. Your recipe doesn't specify dark, medium or light rye flour. Does it matter which one is used?

Yours,

Ellen

Patricia Scarpin said...

June, thank you! I bet you would like it.

Ela, dear, I cannot wait to bake other recipes with rye flour.
Thank you!
xx

Ellen, thank YOU for such a lovely comment! <3
The recipe doesn't specify which kind of rye flour to be used, the one I used was pale in color. I hope this helps!

Isla said...

Deb at Smitten Kitchen has a soft pretzel recipe made with rye flour that is to die for!! And now I can try your recipe with my leftover flour!! Thanks!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Isla, I believe Deb's recipe comes from the same book I got these bars from! Thank you for the comment! xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails