Monday, September 22, 2014

Granola muffins

Granola muffins / Muffins de granola

And since we were talking about food waste the other day, let me tell you that the granola saga did not end with the cookies I posted the other day: even after a large batch of cookies I still had two handfuls of granola left and no intention of eating it with milk or yogurt. :(

I was saved by the wonderful Nigella Lawson and her granola muffins recipe: it was easy and quick, and in her recipes I trust completely. When I weighed my granola, I had exactly 252g of it – I turned the oven on immediately. :D

The muffins turned out tender and tasted delicious – it was a great way to use up the unwanted granola. I think that a bit of cinnamon would have done wonders for them – just a hint to any of you who might have a jar of granola begging to be used, too.

Granola muffins
from the always delicious Feast: Food That Celebrates Life

1 ½ cups (210g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon table salt
1 cup (240ml) buttermilk*
1 large egg
¾ cup (130g) light brown sugar, packed
⅓ cup (80ml) canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g granola

Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg, sugar, oil and vanilla. Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and stir just until combined; do not overmix. Add granola and stir just until blended.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until risen and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Carefully remove muffins from pan and place on a rack until cool enough to handle. Serve warm or at room temperature.

* homemade buttermilk: to make 1 cup buttermilk place 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a 240ml-capacity measuring cup and complete with whole milk (room temperature). Wait 10 minutes for it to thicken slightly, then use the whole mixture in your recipe

Makes 12

4 comments:

CakeSpy said...

I could talk myself into believing this is health food!! Looks really, really tasty!!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I'd love these muffins with my morning coffee!

Rivki Locker said...

I love Nigella! This recipe looks great. I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up all that granola, though. I make my own and hoard it like crazy. :) It's just so delicious on its own!

Patricia Scarpin said...

CakeSpy, I know! I feel the same way. :D
Thank you!

Laura, thank you!

Rivki, I love her too! I make my own granola, too, but I tried a new recipe and it let me down - it wasn't good. That is why I made cookies and muffins with it. xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails