Friday, January 30, 2015

Coconuttiest shortbread cookies and the amazing "Birdman"

Coconuttiest shortbread cookies / Amanteigados de coco

I have the feeling sometimes that coconut raises strong opinions pretty much like cilantro: people either love it or (really) hate it.

The same has happened with Birdman and I belong to the group of people who loved it: I found it sensational, intriguing, interesting, creative, with amazing acting – I never knew Michael Keaton could be so good! I left the theater with a deep appreciation for Iñarritu’s film – the way he moves the camera around is a thing of beauty (it reminded of how wonderfully Spielberg moved the camera around in Munich). And as I did last year with the ladies, I’m switching sides: I am so sorry, dear Steve, but I want the Oscar to go to Michael’s hands. :)

As for the coconut, I’m part of the loving group, too, so when I saw this recipe on Food52 I was more than willing to give it a go: coconut in two ways – both flour and oil – in shortbread cookies. They turned out delicious and have a lovely sandy texture, so just be careful when storing them (if there’s any left – I haven’t stopped eating mine ever since I removed them from the oven). :D

Coconuttiest shortbread cookies
from the wonderful Food52

2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
¼ cup (25g) coconut flour
¼ cup (35g) confectioner's sugar
1/8 teaspoon table salt
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup (120ml) coconut oil, room temperature
½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small bowl, whisk the all purpose flour, coconut flour, confectioners’ sugar and salt. Set aside.

Combine the butter and coconut oil in the bowl of stand mixer. Cream on medium speed for two to three minutes, until the two are combined. Scrape the bowl down, and beat for another minute. With the mixture still running on medium, add the sugar in a slow stream. Beat for another two minutes, then scrape down the bowl. Add the egg yolks one at a time, scraping the bowl between each addition. Beat in the vanilla, then beat the mixture for another two minutes, until the mixture looks white and satiny. Add the flour mixture all at once. Mix on very low speed until a dough starts to form.

Divide the dough into two equal parts. Place each on a piece of parchment paper; shape dough into logs. Fold parchment over dough; using a ruler, roll and press into a 3.5 cm (1.4in) log – like Martha does here. Wrap in parchment. Chill in the freezer until very firm, 2-3 hours.

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F; line two large baking sheets with baking paper - I like Beyond Gourmet a lot.
Unwrap one log at a time (keep the other in the freezer). Cut log into 6mm (¼in) thick rounds; space 2.5cm (1in) apart onto prepared sheets. Bake until golden brown around the edges, 12-14 minutes. Cool completely on the sheets.

Makes about 50

4 comments:

Eva Stenskar said...

I loved Birdman too, and found Michael Keaton excellent. I tell my husband I want to personally go to Hollywood to make sure they give him the Oscar for that movie. Fingers crossed I don't have to do that.

I also really like your blog, you write very well, your photos are excellent, and I've tried several recipes (apricot thumbprint cookies and Elvis' favorite cake) and they are all keepers!
Thank you.

Eva

http://breakfastvisions.blogspot.com/

June Burns said...

I love coconut, personally, it's always so great in desserts like this! The shortbread sounds delicious :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Dear Eva, I'm so glad to hear you like the blog and the recipes! Thank you!

I say we go together to Hollywood just to make sure Michael gets the award. ;)

xx

Bety said...

Patricia, you again made some wonderful cookies! I love coconut flavor and shortbread cookies. I have not tried coconut shortbread cookies!

Nice weekend

Related Posts with Thumbnails