Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Waffles for crazy, hectic days

Waffles

My days have been pretty hectic lately, too much to learn in a short period of time – I haven’t cooked much and I don’t remember the last time I actually baked something (I made chocolate mousse last weekend for Sunday’s lunch, let’s pretend that counts). :) The crazy routine is not supposed to last forever, and while it does I’ll try not to let it get in the way of my posts here, but I won’t make promises I cannot keep – I just hope that those of you who have been around for so long bear with me during these days and do not jump ship. :)

I made these waffles a couple of weeks ago to go with an episode of Hannibal (I am brave enough to eat while watching it) and they turned out so good I had to share them with you: crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside, perfumed with vanilla, they are absolutely delicious, and the good thing is the batter is put together in no time and can be refrigerated overnight if tightly covered – if you’re pressed for time like I have been lately, this recipe should be permanently on your refrigerator door.

Waffles
from the beautiful Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes

2 eggs, separated
pinch of salt
1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
4 ½ tablespoons (63g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 ½ cups (210g) all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup (180ml) whole milk, room temperature

Whisk the egg whites and the salt until they’re fluffy and just holding soft peaks.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla until creamy. Whisk in the butter, then the flour and baking powder (batter will be thick). Add the milk, then fold in the egg whites.

Heat a waffle iron. Add about 1/3 cup of batter per waffle, then cook following the manufacturer's instructions, until the waffles are golden brown. Serve immediately.

Makes about 6

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Flor, acompanho seu blog desde qdo iniciou! Obrigada por nos brindar com tantas receitas lindas!!Hoje tenho um filho, e ele já tem uma receita preferida -mini bolinhos de iogurte com calda de maracujá!! Gostaria mto de conhece-la um dia!! Sucesso!! Tenho um grande carinho e admiração por vc!

Unknown said...

I was by myself tonight so I made half of the recipe turned out really great it made two big waffles and I couldn't eat them all so I shared them with my dogs we all love them

Patricia Scarpin said...

Katheryn, this is great news! I am happy to know you like the recipe! Thank you for commenting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails